Saturday, June 13, 2009

Happy 2nd Birthday, Sam

Today was Sam's big 2 year old birthday. We celebrated by going to the Children's Museum yesterday. Sam loves helicopters (helitoptopters--as Sam would say), so we figured he'd love the real-life helicopter at the museum. He was scared at first, but warmed up to it as he does with most things. We had to go back to see the helicopter several times.
Sam bringing it in for a landing.

Since Sam loves helicopters so much, I considered making him a helicopter cake, until I researched how to make one online. I knew Sam liked turtles and said, "would you rather have a helicopter cake or a turtle cake?" Thankfully, he said he'd rather have the turtle cake. I used marshmallow fondant, which was a lot of fun to work with, but didn't taste good. So I also made brownies to serve in addition to the cake.
Sam kept his eye on the lady bugs and ate them shortly after blowing out the candles.

Sam blew his candles out four times.


We usually get the kids small birthday gifts, but when we saw this mini 4-wheeler at 40% off, it was hard to pass up. The 4-wheeler is battery powered and tops out at speeds of 2 mph, which allows Sam to feel the freedom of the trail.
At first, Sam didn't want to even get on it, but he finally got on and had a lot of fun.


After several hours of riding it around, Sam became a seasoned veteran and was all business.

5 comments:

airbearmel said...

What a great day for Sam. You really know how to do a guy's birthday. So what is this a turtle cake. It looks great, too bad it wasn't as yummy as it looks.

Hey Sam, your very own "4lur lur". How fun is that. You look good on it. Was a lot of fun having you here for a couple days.

Happy birthday again.

Love,

Grampa

Alyson said...

Nice job on that cute cake! It looks like Sam had a great birthday!

Kathy said...

Wow!! What a great day. I love, love, love that turtle cake. Looks very professional!! Great job, Ash.

Happy Birthday to Sam. I brought my computer to Provo with his own personal Happy Birthday to Sam song on it, and with the rain and all, I didn't play it for him. But when I tended the kids we played it a lot.

Love ya all.....

The KGB Family said...

Wow! the big two :) Happy Birthday Sam! Be looking for a special something in the mail from cousin Anton and the girls too. Yes, I also love the cake.

Erica said...

I can't believe he is already 2!!! that is crazy. I love your cake. It is adorable