Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Day in the Life

Today was just a regular day, not too bad, not too good. In reviewing my day, I found it quite comical, but ordinary. All the following events are true and all happened today.
Mabel woke up at 6:00 a.m. and came in to our room saying she was scared. Nick sent her back to bed until 7:00 a.m. when Mabel and Sam came parading into our room with their morning grins on their faces. We went to have breakfast at which time Sam started a 10 minute scream fest about not wanting to drink his milk--he wanted juice. Meanwhile Mabel was nowhere to be found. I found her lying on the bathroom floor saying that her tummy hurt. So I gave her a throw up bowl and we were good to go. Nick said on his way to work, "Looks like you're going to have a fun day."
After getting everyone dressed and ready, Sam peed his pants at which point I put a clean pair of Mabel's old pink training underwear on him. We headed outside to mow the lawn and pull weeds. Sam was sporting a boy shirt, pink underwear, and Mabel's old pink shoes that he's claimed as his own. We then came in vacuumed and dusted the basement while Max was napping. While vacuuming the stairs, I noticed the pledge was gone. I immediately turned off the vacuum and heard the pledge being sprayed. Sure enough, there was a small white spot of pledge on the carpet. During the 30 minutes it took to vacuum and dust, we headed all the way upstairs to use the potty twice--because the downstairs one is too scary. The kids turned on and off the vacuum at least 7-8 times while I moved toys around.
Sam starting throwing another screaming fit about needing a bandaid, even though he wasn't bleeding. I gave him a few crackers and some juice and he calmed down (he still hasn't figured out that if he actually eats breakfast, he's in a better mood). Max woke up and we headed to Del Taco to redeem some free kids meals coupons that expire soon. Lunch went fine until the kids were playing on the indoor playground and Sam announced that he pooped his pants. Luckily he had a diaper on, but we had to go. I changed Sam and Max (both poopie) and we started vacuuming the upstairs at which point I smelled poop again....Max had another one! Sam was in time out for some reason (I don't remember why - he spends a lot of time in time-out). Back to potty with Sam and Mabel. We lay down for naps at which point Sam throws a fit that I'm laying on Mabel's bed--so I leave the room and he calms down. Once he's asleep, I go to lay with Mabel--so she doesn't get up--and we both fall asleep. Whew--the day's only half over.
After nap, Mabel and Sam come down to check the computer with me. While on the computer, we have to watch ALL the videos that I've posted to our blog in the past two months. We then watch a few mintues of Monster's Inc. before going potty and heading off to the library. At the library, while checking out, an older gentleman had a large grin on his face as Sam (2) was chasing Max (1) telling him, "No, Max, come back" as I was in hot persuit telling Mabel, "Hurry, Mabel" as she followed behind.
We got home in time to play in the backyard for a few minutes while I called my mom just to say, "I don't really have anything to say", but I just needed to hear another adult voice. Came in to fix dinner and feed the ants (we've had an ant problem since we've moved in and it gets bad in the summer). They had licked up three piles of the ant killer and need more. Fixed dinner and had to start eating before daddy got home, because I had three kids jumping up and down. When dad got home, Mabel was in timeout, Sam was done eating, and Max was crawling on the table.
Daddy played with the kids while I snipped the carrots I had picked that morning and did the dishes. The kids then helped clean the fish tank. We then came downstairs to watch an overly cheesy, but somewhat catchy episode of the Wiggles that we had borrowed from the library (I wanted to watch the old school Inspector Gadget, but couldn't convince Mabel and Sam otherwise). At some point, Nick and I were the only two watching it, and so we decided to go on a walk. Sam had his pink shoes and baby doll tucked by his side (Nick wishes Sam was a little more manly). We then cleaned up the toys in the backyard (the sprinklers come on tomorrow), picked three zucchini, sprayed some more ant killer (different than the one I fed them earlier) on the ants that were eating the turtle's food and came in for some zucchini brownies (I need more zucchini recipes).
I soon found Nick outside throwing rocks at a cat who had climbed on the garage roof. Got the kids ready for bath. Max comes into the kitchen, in the buff, while Nick was filling the tub and pees on the floor. While dressing the boys, I hear Nick say from the bathroom "Why did you poop in the tub?" Apparently Mabel's upset tummy finally caught up with her. We sent the kids to bed without the normal story and play time. Whew--what a day!

4 comments:

Kathy said...

All I can say is, "Poor Peanut"! Hang in there. Trust me, they do grow up way too fast and before you know it they'll be gone and you'll wish you were back in "the good ol' days"! Just look what happened to me.

Love, MOM

The KGB Family said...

Yikes! Although it does sound similar to activities that go on in this abode as well :) All we can do is try to laugh, I guess.

Jalean said...

You may not believe this, but these are the best years of your life! (As long as you keep a sense of humor!)

After I quit teaching school I realized I could handle a classroom of 30 students at school better than I could handle my own three kis at home some days. Just the same, I loved my life at home with my kids better than going to work outside the home everyday.

Brooke Anderson said...

Think of it this way....you can laugh about it later and you gave us all a good laugh today :)!

Who would have thought that so much processed food and liquid could pass through three little bodies like that?