Being a stay-at-home mom can be hard sometimes. I think the hardest part for me right now is trying to keep my own sense of identity. I used to be interested in other things, but will now find myself turning on PBS kids while I fold the laundry, even if the kids aren't around, just to keep my company. It seems like now that Alex is nearly 18 months old, life has gotten a bit easier on me as far as being on-call full time. Which has given me some time to rediscover who I really am. So I have been making goals for myself to give myself some sort of self-worth. So I decided to make a rag quilt for Mabel. It zipped faster than I had expected and so I found myself making Sam and Max one, too. The kids absolutely loved watching me at the sewing machine as they waited for their quilt to take shape.
I love Mabel's quilt the best, mostly because of the girly colors.
Sam's quilt.
Max's quilt.
Mabel got a cookbook for her birthday from her Burst cousins (a.k.a. Aunt Kris) and she has fallen in love with it. Her first item of business was to make twice baked potato mice.
The kids made them mostly by themselves.
They also made these scrumptious fruit kabobs. We've also made some fruit Popsicles and raspberry swirl cheesecake. Mabel is turning into a good little cook!
We go to the library every Thursday and it made my day as we returned on Thursday when the kids all immediately went to couch with their new books and quietly read (or looked at pictures) while I made lunch.





5 comments:
Hey, I'm glad you liked the cookbook. Nice quilts, I know what you are saying about having goals and trying to find stuff for "you" to do.
Way cute quilts. Wow, you're a talented little homemaker! Looks like you're doing some fun things. Thanks Mabes for the cute little Thank You card I got in the mail. I loved it and how you wrote it all my yourself. Love all you cuties in West Valley.
Ashlee, I really love your quilts! You are very talented. There is no way this lefty could do something like that. I am in awe of how domestic you are. I love all the cute cooking creations you have all done.
I was also very happy to receive my cute thank you card written especially by Mabel.
As far as having the t.v. on to keep you company....I do that too! However, I do tend to have more mature programs on like, "Chopped" or "House Hunters" or a Hallmark movie. I didn't used to like cooking shows, but "Chopped" does keep me interested.
I think whether you are married or single or empty nesters, you feel a need to create an identity....which can be difficult sometimes.
Love you Ashlee!
Your quilts turned out really cute! I'm sure your kids are thrilled with them.
Your quilts look great! Good job! What a fun Mom you are!
Post a Comment